The text for this lesson is John 1:43–51
- Jesus called Philip and Nathanael to believe in Him. In Jesus, access to heaven is given to all who believe.
- Law: My sinful nature does not recognize Jesus as the Son of God. I futilely try to manipulate Jesus into being what I want.
- Gospel: Jesus is the only true God, the Savior who rescues me from sin, death, and the devil. He is the true Jacob’s ladder upon whom the angels will come down and escort me to my heavenly home.
- Can you think of any mistaken understandings people have had of Jesus, either in the past or in modern times? What about you? What were some ideas you used to have about Jesus that you have come to know were not right?
- Read verses 43–45. Who claims to have found whom? Who really found whom?
- What does Jesus mean when He says Nathanael is an Israelite in whom there is no deceit?
- How did Jesus know Nathanael? How does Jesus’ statement affirm what John and Philip have said about Him? What are the greater things Nathanael will see?
- Nathanael makes a strong confession about who Jesus is. What is this confession? What confessions do we make of Jesus?