The text for this lesson is Luke 2:41–52
- As a boy, Jesus was found in His Father’s house. In God’s house, I hear His Word, learn that Jesus is my Savior, and receive His gifts of forgiveness and salvation.
- Law: Because of sin, I cannot recognize who Jesus is.
- Gospel: Through Baptism and the power of His Word, God makes clear to me that Jesus is His Son and my Savior.
- Have you ever had a friend or family member go off on his own and do something completely unexpected? Did you want to “correct” the person? Did you find out later that what he did really made sense? Or do you still wonder today what he was doing?
- The narrative says that Jesus’ parents went to Jerusalem every year at the Passover. How old is Jesus when this event occurs? What does this number remind you of?
- How many days did Joseph and Mary search for Jesus? What does this number remind you of?
- What “method” does Jesus use to teach the teachers of the temple? Why do you think He does this? Read Matthew 21:12–16. How has Jesus’ method of teaching changed between His childhood and His adult ministry? Why is this?
- What does Mary ask Jesus in Luke 2:48? Is she really wrong to be wondering or asking this? What does this mean for our own daily lives?
- Who really is Jesus’ Father, and what is the business of His Father? What does Jesus do after Joseph and Mary find Him, in spite of the fact that He has been about His Father’s business? What does this tell us about the nature of Jesus?
- What does this lesson tell us about true, godly work? Where is this work done?