The text for this lesson is Matthew 2
- The Wise Men came to see the Savior and honor Him with gifts. In church, we see the Savior in His gifts of Word and Sacrament, which honor and bless us.
- Law: Like Herod, I do not want to worship the Savior, Jesus.
- Gospel: Christ comes to me, a sinner, to turn my hardened heart toward Him through His gifts of Word and Sacrament, enabling me to offer Him my worship and praise.
- How did you come to realize that Jesus is the Christ, who came into the world to save sinners?
- Read Matthew 2:1–12. When does this story take place? Who were the Wise Men (Magi)? See Daniel 2:1–11, especially verses 2 and 10. Why does Matthew introduce them with the attention-grabbing word behold?
- When the Magi arrive in Jerusalem, what do they ask? Who ends up helping them figure out where Jesus is? What do the Magi need in order to find the Christ Child? Why do the Magi need the star to guide them again?
- What gifts do the Magi offer Jesus? What do these gifts mean? See Isaiah 60:6 and Psalm 141:2. What do these gifts say about Jesus Christ Himself? How might we apply them to our Christian life and worship?
- Read Matthew 2:13–23. When Jesus is taken by Joseph and Mary in an escape to Egypt, what does it mean for His reign of salvation and for us, His people?
- Why do we call this story, and hence the feast day on which we hear and celebrate this story each year, the Epiphany of Our Lord?