The text for this lesson is Matthew 27:45-56, 62-66; 28:1-15
- The earth quaked at Jesus’ death and resurrection, proclaiming that He truly is the Son of God. God’s Word clearly proclaims this same wonderful reality to us.
- Law: Because of my sin, I deserve to suffer and die eternally.
- Gospel: God sent His Son, Jesus, to pray for me so that I will live forever with Him.
- What natural element did God control at Jesus’ death? See Luke 23:44-45.
- What is the significance of the darkness that lasted three hours?
- What unusual events took place at the time of Jesus’ death?
- What did the Roman centurion say when God opened the earth?
- To what did all of these supernatural signs point?
- Jesus was hastily buried inside the earth. A great stone was rolled to the entrance. What did the Pharisees and chief priests want Pilate to do? Why?
- What happened on Sunday morning?
- What did the angel say to the women?
- What happened as they were leaving the empty tomb?
- What was their response?
- What did the guards report to the chief priests?
- Why did God show His almighty power to control the sun and the earth during these events?
- How did Jesus humble himself at birth?
- Why did Jesus suffer and die?
- Why was Jesus’ descent into hell a step in his exaltation?